Sunday, October 09, 2005

Serenity - the review

First off I want to have a little rant in respect of our local cinema. I’ve noticed that the last 2 films I’ve seen on a certain screen (screen 3), that the sound balance is not correct. This has meant that when I have seen both Land of the Dead and Serenity, I have been straining to make out the dialogue when there is a great deal of background noise. This was especially evident during the beginning of serenity during the bank heist scene, and annoyed me no end.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Someone in Guernsey, build us a decent cinema!

Also still suffering from a cold at the moment (as has Roz and Elliot). It meant that I had to miss out on a friends stag night (sorry Mark), which was a disappointment. Then agian I really wouldn't have enjoyed myself and Mark sounds like he had a good time, which after all is the most important thing.

Films Watched:
Serenity
Now this has been one of my most anticipated films this year (alongside Batman Begins and Sin City). Well how did it rank. I’d have to say that it was just as good as the best episodes of Firefly, in other words, very damn good (or “shiny” for Firefly fans).

The film seemed quite a bit darker than the serious, Mal in particular seemed a lot more bitter and uncompassionate than previously, but maybe that could be attributed to the lack of Inara from the crew. All of the original cast were in the film, including Inara and Book (although to a lesser degree), and each had a moment to shine. Some characters obviously had more prominence, namely Mal and River, but this is to be expected given the nature of the story.

There were a couple of surprising shocks in the story, and I won’t mention them here. Although at one stage near the end of the film, I exchanged a glance with another Firefly friend of mine (Nig) as if to say “No, they can’t do that”. Not in disappointment, just surprise.

My only other concern was that for Non-Firely fans they may find it all a tad confusing, although another friend (Mark) still enjoyed the film and gave it a 8/10, so I guess it can play to fans and non-fans alike.

Overall, just as good as I’d hoped for and a good way to end a fantastic, if short lived, series.

9/10

There has been a lot of grumbling and disappointment on various Firefly sites as the film has only performed modestly. I’d say that it’s likely to make a profit, but it is not the stellar smash that some people were hoping for. The main reason for this hope is if it was significantly successful then the likelihood of more films, or even the chance of returning to a series would be a possibility. As it stands, I’m not certain that this will happen and while this is a tad disappointing (even in the cinema I felt myself get a little chocked up near the end, knowing that this would likely be the last I’d see of the Firefly crew), I think that we should be grateful that Joss Whedon has taken the time to make a film which gives a natural end to the series.

As it stands, I’d watch the film again in a heartbeat (just not in cinema 3 of the Mallard if I can help it).

No comments: