Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let the Right One in

Film watched:

Let the Right One in



Okay, I’m going to break my 20 word rule for this one as well, but this time for all the wrong reasons.

This is a film that I was really really looking forward to. It has been adored by pretty much all the critics and currently holds at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. Many have called this the film of the year, and seeing as this is a foreign horror film, I had expectations that this would be in a similar league to Pan’s Labyrinth or The Orphanage. I was wrong.

That is not to say that it is a bad film, it isn’t, it’s just a long mile away from being the excellent film that other critics have suggested. There is also no doubt that it isn’t a beautiful film, or even a touching film, it just didn’t click with me. I think my problem is that it didn’t really bring anything that new to the table in my opinion, and what developments it did bring lacked any punch. It felt like the first third of a film dragged out a whole films length. I’d like to state for the record that I don’t mind slow films, in fact there are many films which are considered “slow” which I adore, but with this I kept waiting for the film to surprise me, or grab me, and left disappointed.

6/10

No comments: