Friday, February 06, 2009

Killzone 2 demo impressions.

I seem to be posting a whole heap of demo impressions of late… oh well, onto Killzone 2.

Well it certainly looks impressive that’s for sure and the cover mechanic makes it feel more like a FPS GOW than your standard shooter. As a FPS it seems pretty generic from what I’ve seen, with only the cover system distancing it from other FPS’s. The demo itself was pretty short, so it is hard to give a definitive impression of the game, but from what I have seen I would say that it looks like a very competent game, maybe not revolutionary, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

I’ll likely be buying it mainly for the multiplayer and the demo did not include a version of this which was a shame, but from what I’ve seen so far, I’d imagine that it’ll play more similar to COD than Resistance, which is a good thing in my book.

My only is with the controls (why does this sound familiar). Overall movement feel very weighty and I had to adjust the sensitivity slightly, but this wasn’t the issue. Using cover is very, very important (you get slaughtered quickly if you stand out in the open), but to take cover you need to press and hold the L2 button. Now to pop up out of cover you just need to press either up or left/right, which ever is appropriate. However, to look down the sights of your gun and zoom you need to press either L1 or R3 before shooting with R1. Neither of these feel very natural (namely pressing 3 buttons to shoot from behind cover) and I spent a fair amount of time fumbling with these controls. In my opinion this could be fixed easily by just requiring the press of L2 to duck behind cover, but not holding L2, then another press of L2 to leave the cover, but this option is not available.

The above is by no means a deal breaker for me, it just adds another layer of complexity where it isn’t needed. I’ve had a look on a couple of forums and seen that a few other people also share my opinion. Hopefully this may be addressed, otherwise it’ll just require a bit of adapting on my part. I may have to give the demo another swirl to see if I can get to grips with it a bit more.

It has, however, made me realise just how natural the COD button layout is and how anything else just seems alien in comparison.

No comments: