Sunday, January 29, 2006

New Tenants(?) Shiri and Munich

We had a few viewings of our flat on Friday and Saturday and it now looks likely that we should be getting some new tenants. The lease has yet to be signed, but we have not just one, but two interested parties, so hopefully things should be settled soon (fingers crossed). Also hopefully these tenants will be of the honest paying variety and not the scum that we had to deal with previously.

Films watched:
Shiri
This is the most successful Koren film to date and as I’ve come to enjoy Asian films in recent years, I wanted to give this one a try. It also stars some of the actors from Oldboy and Lost, both of which I have enjoyed.

Overall, the film was a bit of a disappointment. It wasn’t particularly bad, but then it wasn’t particularly striking either. The plot turns were very predictable, as was the action. Really it just seemed very much like your average Hollywood thriller, with very little added style or panache. Overall, very average.

5/10

Munich
This is a film that I was really looking forward to. Mainly because it is a Spielberg film, but also because I know that it is a film that Spielberg has felt passionately about for some time now.

My reaction?

Utter disappointment. Overall the film was over long, unengaging, uninteresting and instantly forgettable. The subject matter did not grab me at all, or peak my interest in the slightest. Whilst I must admit that I am unfamiliar with the political aspects and history of Israel as well as the event of Munich in 1972, there was just nothing for me to relate to. Then again the same could be said of the plight of the Jews and World War 2, but I still enjoyed Schindlers List, it still grabbed my interest and gave me something to relate to and emotionally connect. Munich had none of that, I just felt nothing for the victims or the perpetrators.

I’m sure if you have a strong vested interest in the events of Munich 1972 this film may mean a great deal to you, otherwise, it’ll likely just wash right over you, like it has with me.

Without a doubt the most disappointing Spielberg film I have ever watched.

3.5/10

No comments: