Initially promising, but ultimately disappointing soulless, cheap scares, Sci-Fi.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
I thought it was about time that I put down a few words about this game.
I’m not going to repeat what has been said countless time on numerous websites, instead I’ll bullet point my impressions of the game:
* It is every bit as epic as I had anticipated.
* The control of the game is far from east and requires some practice to get used to, but once you do get used to it, it is clear that there is a massive improvement compared to the previous games in the series.
* Each of the 5 chapters brings something new to the game. Chapter 1 is based in a city warzone, where it benefits you to fight with the rebels. Chapter 2 brings in jungle environments and tracking. Chapter 3 is mainly stalking. Chapter 4 is classic sneaking in a familiar environment, but against non-human adversaries. Chapter 5 (whilst short) is a mixture of sneaking and action.
* MGO is also great fun.
* The briefings are long and fairly uninteresting and the worst offenders as far as cuts scenes go. They could have been easily condensed.
* For anyone not familiar with the background of the Metal Gear saga (any even those of us not 100% familiar) it is easy to get quickly lost as the plots twists and turns.
* The Beauty and the Beast unit were each absolutely fantastic (and disturbingly sexy), with each boss fight being both memorable and thrilling. Quite possibly the highlights in the game for me.
* This is not a game for everyone. Anyone who has enjoyed previous games in the serious will likely love it, but others will likely loath it.
* The epilogue of the game is way, way, way too long and totally unnecessary.
* Overall I think that MGS3 is still my favourite in the series, although much of MGS4 was better, it was spoilt slightly by an overindulgent, sappy and boring epilogue.
* It is still the best game so far for the PS3…
Also, as a side note... Have just booked my IMAX tickets to see The Dark Knight when I'm over in London in a couple of weeks time :)