Friday, July 04, 2008

PS3 2.40 and FFTA2

Firmware 2.40 was released yesterday for the PS3 and I managed to download this and install it successfully (the same cannot be said for a number of people). I am aware that some people have had some difficulties installing this and as a consequence this has since been taken down for “further testing”. For me, however, it work flawlessly (i.e. in game XMB, trophy support etc).

I also have a slight confession to make. I’ve always said that I didn’t think very highly of Xbox achievements (and in turn did not hold high hopes for PS trophies), however, after downloading 2.40 I also downloaded Super Stardust HD (which I’d been tempted to get in the past, as I enjoyed the demo) to give trophies a quick test run. Super Stardust HD is fantastic game BTW, I’d even go as far to say that it’s probably my favourite PSN game to date, a great old school shooter. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I now hold around 6 bronze trophies and 2 silver trophies and have found myself actively trying my best to obtain the remaining trophies… so consider me a slight convert on the whole trophies / achievements issue, although I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I would compete against others to beat there score, I can now see how it adds additional motivation and replayability to a game.

On a side note, I also got through my copy of Final Fantasy Tactics A2 through the post yesterday for the DS. I’ve had a chance to play through this a little bit and so far it has been absolutely fantastic, even better than the original. I’m in SRPG handheld heaven (which is a good place to be). All I need now is Disgaea DS (which is coming later this year) and I may never need another game for my DS ever again…

1 comment:

Sinbad said...

I told ya ;) Achievements are fun, even if you're not a gamerscore whore.

Glad you're not one of the small group of people that had their HD screwed by the update at least.