Thursday, July 12, 2007

Playstation conference & Taki

So E3 is off to a start.

I managed to catch the Playstation conference last night, but have not yet watched the Nintendo one (I hope to catch this tonight). I have also been able to download many of the trailers shown at the conference immediately following this via the Playstation Network onto my PS3, a nice touch.

Anyway, as such, I thought I’d review my predictions (in italics) and comments relating to the Playstation conference (I’ll review Nintendo shortly):

- A new smaller and slimmer PSP is announced, in the same vein as the DS Lite.

As suspect, this was announced, although I have to say that as far as I can see it looks no different to the original PSP. As such, I don’t see this improving the sales in the same way that the DS Lite did (which was a much drastic redesign).


- A price cut is announced for the PS3 – due for the Christmas season.

The price cut was announced prior to the conference. There are rumours that there may be a further announcement nearer Christmas. Still no news for Europe.


- A new Sixaxis is announced, including rumble.

Surprisingly this wasn’t announced. I was really expecting this. I’m sure that it’s only a matter of time.


- Resistance: Fall of Man 2 is announced.

No mention – at all.


- A release date is given for MGS4 – and it’s in 2008!

Yep on the ball 100%. The trailer also looked pretty stunning. What I didn’t expect however, was that it was a WORLDWIDE release date of early 2008! :)


- Bioshock is announced for the PS3 – to be release in 2008 after the Xbox and PC release.

No mention – damn.


- In game footage is shown of Final Fantasy XIII, which wows the press.

Square-Enix have said that they are waiting until the Tokyo Game Show (in September) before releasing any further details.

So in addition to my predictions, the following also took my interest:

- Both Killzone 2 and Call of Duty 4 look absolutely stunning and frighteningly lifelike. I previously wasn’t that interested in either of these, the trailers, however, have changed my opinion completely.

- Home looks like it is expanding and coming along nicely. Also the transition from Home to online gaming (as demonstrated using Motorstorm) was also very smooth and trouble free.

- Infamous (one of the few new announcements) looked intriguing – like a darker City of Hereos.

- Only a very short glimpse of Resident Evil 5 – but what was shown looked very good, kinda like Resident Evil 4 but set in the desert (possibly in Africa).

- Sony’s claim of 11 million PS3’s sold by the end of the year in light of their price cut seemed a little ambitious, especially as they have sold around 3.5 million at present.

- There are way too many FPS coming out. Come on, not every game should require you to run around shooting things!

- Other than that, it was a good presentation, but certainly not groundbreaking.

Also, further pictures of Soul Calibur 4 have been put online…


Hello Taki :)

No comments: