Sunday, December 10, 2006

Wii (the verdict)

I’ll keep this short, many games to play, little time to play them!

Managed to nab myself a Wii, I think I was quite lucky by the sounds of things. Demand was high and supply low. I have some friends who also managed to get one, but also, some who didn’t.

I had a couple of friends round last night for a go and I have to say, the Wii make the perfect multiplaying console, an absolute blast.

It is a lovely, lovely little machine…

Games played:
Wii Sports
A great pick up and play game. Wii Tennis is a perfect introduction to the Wii and the other games, whilst varying in quality, also demonstrate how well the controller works. The graphics may be simplistic, but bright, simplistic graphics running in 480p at 60fps suit the Wii just perfectly (more some sometime than more detailed graphics).

Roz beat the living daylights out of me in boxing!

Wii Play
Another good introduction to the Wiimote and a godsend, as this includes a second Wiimote (BTW did I mention how small they are – no – well they’re tiny). Not much reply value for one player, but for 2 player games they are good fune.

Call of Duty 3
Picked this up because I couldn’t get hold of Monkey Ball. Have only had a quick go so far. A bit disappointed that this doesn’t support 480p, but I guess that’s just me bitching a bit.

Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
As I was saying… Popped into town later on in the day and Woolworths must have restocked, and had Monkey Ball! So naturally got that as well (ouch – bank balance cries out in pain).

I love the simply bright graphics, which suit the game perfectly, also runs at a smooth 60fps and looks beautiful. I didn’t have too much difficultly getting used to the controller in the main game and so far, I’m really enjoying it. Does seem to have the random elements of MB2 so far (fingers crossed).

The Mini games are a bit of a mixed bag, some work well, others don’t. Have played these as much so far, but some do show promise (most of them based on older games).

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The BIG one.

At first, I was a little unsure about this, it took me a little while to get used to playing Zelda the new way and also, it starts very slow. Also, most annoyingly, there is a damn difficult fishing challenge at the beginning of the game that makes you want to throw the controller down in frustration and walk away from the game. Once you get passed this, however, things brighten up considerably.

I’m a couple of hours into the game so far and have just entered the twilight realm and I’m now absolutely loving every second

No comments: