Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2011 most anticipated games

Only a few more days until Christmas.

As I have a fairly good idea what games I may be due to get this Christmas, and as some of the games I’d hoped to get for aren’t out until next year, I thought that it is about time that I gave some thought to my most anticipated games of 2011.

Following this, I’ll do my 2010 review (if I have time)

Anyway, counting down from 10 to 1:

10. Pilot Wings Resort 3DS (3DS)

I seems like an absolute age since the last Pilot Wings game (N64 days) and I think that the 3DS is an ideal fit for the next game in the series. I’m just hoping that a full game comes from the demo that was shown when the 3DS was first unveiled.

9. Kirby: Epic Yarn (Wii)

Due out year end in both Japan and the US, but annoyingly not due to come out until 2011 in Europe, otherwise this would have been likely at the top of my Christmas list!

How can you argue with something this cute? Well, how can you? My only slight concern is that it may be a little on the easy side, but otherwise this continues the resurgence in 2D platforming which seems to be blossoming at Nintendo of late.

8. Batman: Arkham City (PS3)

The first game was surprisingly great (I did not hold up too much hope for it until I played the demo) mixing both stealth and action superbly.

The next games hopefully builds upon this, plus has Catwoman, in her modern comic outfit in all its sexy glory... How can I possibly argue with this?

7. ICO / Shadow of the Colossus HD collection (PS3)

Yes I know that it is a rerelease, but my goodness what a rerelease! I seriously considered putting this higher in my list (possibly even at the top), but the fact that these are games that I’ve played already made me mark it lower.

Both running at a smooth 30fps (which trust me is good for SotC) and in HD.... sign me up.

6. Professor Layton v Phoenix Wright

Wow... Just wow.

This was totally unexpected and whilst no gameplay has been shown yet, I’m excited at the possabilities.

5. Mario Kart 3DS (3DS)

There’s no doubt that I’m looking forward to the 3DS, but the game I’m looking forward most on this system is Mario Kart.

I’ve been replaying both Mario Kart on the DS and also Wii recently with Elliot and Roz and have reached the opinion that the DS iteration of Mario Kart is probably the finest to date, it was only the snaking in it that spoilt online games a little. If the Mario Kart 3DS is just an enhanced version of this, I’ll be a happy man.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

I must admit that I was a little disappointed by the demonstration of this game at E3 2010, although I suspect that the demos on display were only there to show the control methods for the game and the story/meat of the game is still under wraps.

I just hope that it does the franchise justice!

3. Portal 2 (PS3)

I’ve recently replayed Portal and while it is undoubtedly a very short game, it is still IMHO one of the finest crafted games of all time.

I was overjoyed to hear that Portal 2 would be making its way to the PS3, as otherwise I likely would not have had the opportunity to play it. Whilst I have some concerns that the game may lose some of its magic if it is drawn out too much, I have trust in Valve, who are also of course responsible for the wonderful Half Life 2 (of which I’m still waiting for episode 3 – for the PS3)

2. The Last Guardian (PS3)

Well at the TGS 2010 it has finally been confirmed that this will be launching for Holiday 2011, which will hopefully mean both in Japan and Europe/America.

This game was actually at the very top of my “most anticipated game of 2010 list”, but it’s clear that this never came to fruition.

Both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus stand up as two of the finest games of all time, as well as being rather moving on an emotional level for games as well. As such, to say that I’m looking forward to this would be an understatement.

1. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deceipt (PS3)

Only very recently announced, and boy does it look good already. I cannot express how psyched I am at the thought of playing the further adventures of Nathan Drake. The Uncharted series is without a doubt the most thrilling series of adventure games out there and the third entry is already looing simply breathtaking! Best of all (fingers crossed), it should be out just in time for my birthday :)

Uncharted 2 was without doubt the best game so far for the PS3, so I have every hope that Uncharted 3 will continue at this high level.

Other games of significance (which didn’t quite make the top 10)

Ghost Trick (DS)

Little Big Planet 2 (PS3)

Kid Icarus 3DS (3DS)

Pokemon: Black/White (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3DS (3DS)

Disgaea 4 (PS3)

Ni No Kuni (DS/PS3)

Killzone 3 (with sharpshooter) (PS3)

No comments: