Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Review

Well another year has (almost) passed, and I have barely touched my blog in MONTHS, however, I thought that I’d post my annual yearly review for the hell of it...

Anyway, here goes:

Films

Top 3 films of 2010

Toy Story 3

It’s Pixar (again).

As has been the case for the last few years, a Pixar film is in my top 3 films of the year, and that is simply because Pixar make just damn fine films!

I must admit, however, I was slightly concerned towards the beginning of Toy Story 3. I found that the film was covering similar ground to the last two films a little too much, and I didn’t gel with it immediately, however by the time that the Toy’s were trying to escape from the playschool it all seems to click into place and the remainder of the film was simply brilliant. Amusing, scary, and very very moving.

I just hope that Pixar sees sense and doesn’t try to push things with a Toy Story 4... This simply isn’t needed, the ending was simply perfect and anything more just wouldn’t be needed.

Inception

A clever, dazzling and very moving film.

I popped over to Jersey to catch this at the cinema and I’m certainly glad that I did. I was expecting great things from this, seeing as it is from Christopher Nolan and I wasn’t disappointed in the least. I know that some viewers found it to be a confusing film, but so long as you watch closely and pay attention to the rules of the dream, it is relatively easy to follow.

What I love most about the film is that it doesn’t give you simple answers and leaves the viewer to interpret the ending.

Requiem for a Dream

Okay, now I’m cheating a little. This film did not come out in 2010, or anywhere near 2010. It is in fact around ten years only (I think), but I only got around to watching it this year, so I’m adding it for the hell of it! What the hell, this is my Blog, and next to nobody reads it!

Utterly, utterly fantastic – but dreadfully depressing at the same time.

Notable mentions (for good or bad)

[●Rec]2

A very good sequel, that ups the ante a little in a similar fashion to how Aliens built on Alien. Not quite as good as the original, but still very good.

Hierro

A clever Spanish film, that reminded me a bit of The Orphanage, but not quite as good as that.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Almost made it in my top 3, but whilst this was very good, I just don’t think that it deserves to be in the top 3, namely that why I cheated and added Requiem in the top 3.

Time Crimes

Another very clever Spanish film, this time addressing time travel.

Woah – just noticed that I have 3 Spanish language films in my notable mentions (for good reasons).

Games

Top 3 games on 2010

Super Mario Galaxy 2

The first game is without doubt the greatest 3D platforming game of all time (IMHO), and this sequel just builds on that. I felt that a little of the character of the first game was a little lacking, but you can’t fault the additional stages in the least.

Plus Yoshi’s return in 3D (he was rubbish in Super Mario Sunshine) is absolutely fantastic, it’s just a shame that he wasn’t used more.

Dragon Quest IX

I’ve sung a fair few hours into this one, and have also enjoyed co-op play with Elliot.

Very old-school JRPG, but after all the excess of Final Fantasy XIII, this was a welcome change. Quite simply, one of the finest games on the DS,

Red Dead Redemption

At times this has an element of GTA-Western feel to it (especially in the mission structure), but the open plains make this feel like a very different game. Definitely the best PS3 game I’ve played in the year.

I cannot fail to mention the Undead Nightmare DLC which was relatively recently added, which has to be my favourite DLC for any game. The tongue in cheek humour was very much appreciated.

I’ve just notices that my 3 top games of the year span the 3 platforms that I play on, namely Wii, DS and PS3... How about that (it wasn’t intended).

Notable mentions (for good or bad)

Rock Band 3

An excellent recent entry into the series. It’s just a shame that it isn’t selling as well as it should be. I’m still in 2 minds as to whether I’m going to buy myself a pro-guitar (Squire) in due course.

Borderlands

Very almost made it into my top 3 (even though it came out towards the end of 2009). A fantastic game.

Fallout: New Vegas

A fantastic, heavily detailed game that has had me gripped. It’s only failing is how buggy it is, which can be VERY frustrating, otherwise it probably would have been in my top 3!

Metroid: Other M

Dared to take the franchise in a slightly different direction, which while didn’t work all the time, still was a very interesting take. It also had some fantastic boss battles (especially Ridley).

Heavy Rain

A great storty lead adventure.

No More Hero’s 2: Desperate Struggle

I found this to be rather disappointing compared to the first game, lacking the character and likeability that made the first shine.

Final Fantasy XIII

Not the best Final Fantasy out there (but definitely the prettiest – if not the prettiest game on the PS3). I’d probably put this in a similar league to Final Fantasy X (namely likeable, but largely forgettable). Certainly nowhere need as good as it’s immediate predecessor (namely Final Fantasy XII), which was excellent.

Life

Okay, a few notable events in my life during 2010.

- Again I have enjoyed a relatively healthy year, which is always welcome.

- The fact that we have had numerous injuries with our cats springs to mind, and the fact that we have had to cage more than 1 of them for weeks on end (Flower was around 10 weeks if I remember correctly).

- Going to see Paul McCartney live in Cardiff was absolutely fantastic, and stands out as one of my highlights of 2010. The fact that I had Roz with me to enjoy the event made it all the better.

- I enjoyed a fantastic holiday away in Florida with Roz and Elliot. Much fun was had in Disney World and Universal, plus as a bonus I managed to catch Sheryl Crow live on stage at Universal Studios. It was also great to go up in a hot air balloon again, this time with Elliot as well.

Lastly.... A Happy New Year to everyone!

Okay then… Roll on 2011!

No comments: