Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oscar predictions 2012

Okay then, after a long delay, here are my Oscar predictions for the year…

I must first say that I have found last year rather underwhelming film wise, and as such I do not think that the selection of films this years is that great. Also, there is not one particular film that has been nominated for any category, which I feel that passionate about.

That being said, here are my predictions.

BEST PICTURE

The Artist

In a time when films seem to be losing their place in the modern world, this film harks back to Hollywood of old, and ir rather clever to boot. As such, I really don’t see anything else winning.


BEST DIRECTOR
The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius

BEST ACTOR
Jean Dujardin - The Artist

He gave a great performance, and I think that it is deserving (although would love to see Gary Oldman win)


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christopher Plummer - Beginners

Not necessarily for this film, but more due to age and previous performances.


BEST ACTRESS
Viola Davis - The Help

This is between Viola Davis and Meryl Streep. It could go to Meryl Steep just because she has been nominated so many damn times, and only actually won a couple of time. Streeps film, however, has not been as well received and America loved the Help. As such, I’m going with Viola Davis.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Octavia Spencer - The Help

Again, I predict another win for The Help with this one.


BEST ANIMATED FILM
Rango

I’d be disappointed if it was anything else!


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Descendants - Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon &
Jim Rash

A tough one to call, but I’ll go with this.


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Artist - Michel Hazanavicius

Seems an odd choice since there is (almost) no written dialogue, but I still think it’ll win.


ART DIRECTION
The Artist - Production Design: Laurence Bennett, Set Decoration: Robert Gould

CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Artist - Guillaume Schiffman

COSTUME DESIGN
The Artist - Mark Bridges

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

No prediction made.


BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

No prediction made.


BEST FILM EDITING
The Artist - Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

No prediction made.


BEST MAKEUP
Albert Nobbs - Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and
Matthew W. Mungle

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
The Artist - Ludovic Bource

Another tough call, but as The artist needs to convey so much without dialogue, I think that this will win (although they did use some of Vertigo’s score)


BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Man or Muppet - The Muppets, Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

IT’S THE MUPPETS!


BEST ANIMATED SHORT

No prediction made.


BEST LIVE FILM

No prediction made.


BEST SOUND EDITING
Drive - Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

BEST SOUND MIXING
Hugo - Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

Well, let’s see how I do!

No comments: